DI Skin Hospital And Referral Center (DISHARC) was registered as the first skin hospital and research center in Nepal, established in 2009 at Maharajgunj, Kathmandu, Nepal. DISHARC was established under the leadership of Prof. Dr. Anil Kumar Jha, Founding Executive Chairman and the first Prof. of Dermatology of the country as well as a prominent international personality in the field of dermatology. DISHARC is the center of excellence in skin, hair and nail diseases. DISHARC facilitates a wide range of services like out patient consultancy, dermato-pathology, dermato-surgery, laser and light therapies. Apart from Nepal, DISHARC also extends its online service in more than 50 countries. DISHARC is devoted to serve the deprived and unreached grass root level community through telehealth services in Nepal
DI Skin Health and Referral Center (DISHARC) is the first registered skin hospital of Nepal providing best skin care related services in Nepal. DISHARC since 2009 has been continuously improving the quality of care in terms of consultation, infrastructure and technology in order to satisfy the patients and meet the international standards. DISHARC incorporates well known and proficient team of 12 dermatologists, pathologist and physician well managed by a dexterous team of management. DISHARC has an area of 15000 square feet at present located in the embassy area of Kathmandu. The hospital has an OPD capacity of 300 to 400 patients per day served by a team of 14 doctors and 32 management staffs. It has been fully functional since 2010. DISHARC has already served more than hundred thousand patients till date and has performed more than thirty thousand minor and major dermatosurgeries. DISHARC has its own annual publication as DISHARC Newsletter including scientific publications.
- To start collaboration with other institution inside and outside the country to offer high quality individualized diagnosis and therapy of skin diseases, as well as patient education in skin care and prevention of skin disease.
- Provide a high level of teaching and training in dermatology at the pre and post-graduate level.
- Perform innovative basic and clinical research with the ultimate aim of contributing to improved patient-care.
- Foster constructive collaboration and networks with private practitioners as well as primary and secondary institutional care providers. By fulfilling this mission we aim to position our different supespecialist department among the leading Dermatology Institution in South East Asia.
- Establishment of different departments within dermatology/dermatosurgery, leprosy, dermapathology, venerology department, etc.
- To establish the first well equipped e-health center in Nepal.
- Provide optimal, ethical and patient-centered medical care, establish and maintain clinical knowledge, skills and attitudes appropriate to dermatologic practice. Perform a complete and appropriate assessment of a patient and use preventive and therapeutic dermatologic interventions effectively. Demonstrate proficient and appropriate use of procedural skills, both diagnostic and therapeutic and seek appropriate consultation from other health professionals, recognizing the limits of one’s expertise.
DISHARC is committed to providing comprehensive and unparalleled dermatologic care in a welcoming and engaging environment. DISHARC seeks to make each patient experience unique by combining superior patient safety and privacy standards in treating dermatologic and cosmetic concerns. DISHARC strives to combine the best of the art of medicine with the latest advances in research and technology in formulating individualized treatment plans to achieve a unique, desired, and aesthetically-pleasing result.
Teaching Elective Goal
The purpose of the dermatology elective is to provide a learning environment for the student to develop basic dermatology skills.
- Recognize the clinical manifestations of common dermatologic conditions.
- Demonstrate familiarity with common diagnostic procedures.
- Identify 1st and 2nd lines of therapy for common dermatologic conditions. (U,R,E)
- Demonstrate understanding of basic epidemiology and risk factors for malignant melanoma and non-melanoma skin cancer. (U,R)
- Identify clinical situations in which a dermatologist should be consulted and other clinical situations which may be managed without referral. (U,C,S)
Furthermore, we expect that rotating students and residents will:
- Interact with patients, their families, our office staff and other health professionals in a manner that is culturally sensitive and appropriate to the resident’s dual role as healthcare provider and student of dermatology. (B,A)
- Communicate with patients, their families, our office staff and other healthcare providers in an effective fashion in spoken and written English. (B)
- Demonstrate a commitment to carrying out professional responsibilities, adherence to ethical principles, sensitivity to a diverse patient population, and dress and deportment appropriate to a physician. (B,A)
- Wear neat, clean clothing, a white coat and identification badge when seeing patients. (A)
Elements of patients care in DISHARC
- Core medical knowledge
- Patient problem identification
- Diagnostic reasoning
- Clinical judgment
- Clinical decision-making
- Application of appropriate therapies
- Procedural skill proficiency
- Humane care
- Application of ethical principles for patient care
- Functioning as a consultant
- Knowing limits of expertise
- Maintenance of competence
Principles of patient safety and avoiding adverse events
Physicians are able to…
- Function effectively as consultants, integrating all of the CanMEDS Roles to provide optimal, ethical and patient-centered medical care;
- Establish and maintain clinical knowledge, skills and attitudes appropriate to their practice;
- Perform a complete and appropriate assessment of a patient;
- Use preventive and therapeutic interventions effectively;
- Demonstrate proficient and appropriate use of procedural skills, both diagnostic and therapeutic;
- Seek appropriate consultation from other health professionals, recognizing the limits of their expertise.
DISHARC Physicians are able to…
- Function effectively as consultants, integrating all of the Roles to provide optimal, ethical and patient-centered medical care
- Effectively perform a consultation, including the presentation of well documented assessments and recommendations in written and/or verbal form in response to a request from another health care professional
- Demonstrate effective use of all competencies relevant to their practice
- Identify and appropriately respond to relevant ethical issues arising in patient care
- Effectively and appropriately prioritize professional duties when faced with multiple patients and problems
- Demonstrate compassionate and patient-centered care
- Recognize and respond to the ethical dimensions in medical decision making
- Demonstrate medical expertise in situations other than patient care, such as providing expert legal testimony or advising governments, as needed
- Establish and maintain clinical knowledge, skills and attitudes appropriate to their practice
- Apply knowledge of the clinical, socio-behavioral, and fundamental biomedical sciences relevant to the physician’s specialty
- Describe the framework of competencies relevant to the physician’s specialty
- Apply lifelong learning skills of the Scholar Role to implement a personal program to keep up-to-date, and enhance areas of professional competence
- Contribute to the enhancement of quality care and patient safety in their practice, integrating the available best evidence and best practices
- Perform a complete and appropriate assessment of a patient
- Effectively identify and explore issues to be addressed in a patient encounter, including the patient’s context and preferences
- For the purposes of prevention and health promotion, diagnosis and or management, elicit a history that is relevant, concise and accurate to context and preferences
- For the purposes of prevention and health promotion, diagnosis and/or management, perform a focused physical examination that is relevant and accurate
- Select medically appropriate investigative methods in a resource-effective and ethical manner
- Demonstrate effective clinical problem solving and judgment to address patient problems, including interpreting available data and integrating information to generate differential diagnoses and management plans
- Use preventive and therapeutic interventions effectively
- Implement an effective management plan in collaboration with a patient and their family
- Demonstrate effective, appropriate, and timely application of preventive and therapeutic interventions relevant to the physician’s practice
- Ensure appropriate informed consent is obtained for therapies
- Ensure patients receive appropriate end-of-life care
- Demonstrate proficient and appropriate use of procedural skills, both diagnostic and therapeutic
- Demonstrate effective, appropriate, and timely performance of diagnostic procedures relevant to their practice
- Demonstrate effective, appropriate, and timely performance of therapeutic procedures relevant to their practice
- Ensure appropriate informed consent is obtained for procedures
- Appropriately document and disseminate information related to procedures performed and their outcomes
- Ensure adequate follow-up is arranged for procedures performed
- Seek appropriate consultation from other health professionals, recognizing the limits of their expertise
- Demonstrate insight into their own limitations of expertise via self assessment
- Demonstrate effective, appropriate, and timely consultation of another health professional as needed for optimal patient care
- Arrange appropriate follow-up care services for a patient and their family
The clinical experts at DISHARC specialize in cosmetic and laser treatments for a wide range of aesthetic and dermatologic issues, including:
- Acne scar treatments
- Facial rejuvenation
- Hair removal
- Leg vein treatment
- Non-invasive fat removal
- Rosacea treatments
- Scar treatment (burn scars and surgical scars)
- Stretch mark treatments
- Treatments for broken blood vessels and red spots
- Treatments for brown spots
- Treatments for skin discoloration
- Wrinkle and fine line treatment
- Botox: Botulinum toxin, or botox, injections may ease symptoms in some patients with motility disorders.
- Dermatologic Fillers: Used to reduce wrinkles and signs of aging on the face. Brands used include Restylane®, Perlane®, Radiesse®, and Juvederm®.
- Cool Sculpting: An innovative, non-invasive, and clinically proven method to reduce body fat in areas that aren’t responsive to exercise or dieting.
- Laser therapy: This is a medical treatment that uses focused light. Surgeons can focus on a small area and damage less of the surrounding tissue. Patients who have laser therapy may experience less pain, swelling, and scarring than with traditional surgery. Including: VBeam®, StarLux®, GentleMax®, UltraPulse®, Alexandrite, and others – for safe, effective and state-of-the-art laser treatments. Many of the Center’s lasers work on all skin tones.
- Photodynamic Therapy: Photodynamic therapy (PDT), also called photoradiation therapy, phototherapy, and photochemotherapy, has existed for about 100 years and is a type of cancer treatment that uses light to kill abnormal cells. A special drug called a photosensitizer or photosensitizing agent is circulated through the bloodstream.